Civic Engagement Subcommittee
The Civic Engagement Subcommittee (CES) is a subcommittee of the University Committee on Sustainability that works to expand and deepen awareness and involvement into the UVA community, both on and off of Grounds. This subcommittee seeks to promote, engage, and advocate for policies and practices that build an inclusive, safe, healthy, and equitable community aligned with environmental principles to advance the well-being of this and future generations to come.
Subcommittee Membership: Requests for membership in the overarching CES subcommittee are reviewed and approved by the CES co-chairs. Preference is given to individuals who are leaders in other university groups or volunteer organizations. The co-chairs will re-evaluate the CES membership annually. To request membership, email Nina Morris.
Working Group & Task Force Membership: The Outreach Working Group and the Events Task Force are open to everyone. If you’re interested in joining the Outreach Working Group or the Events Task Force, email Dana Schroeder.
For academic year 2015-16, CES focused on two major strategies: Strategic Planning and Sustainability-Related Service. See the annual summaries to learn more.
- Civic Engagement Subcommittee Annual Summary 15-16
- Events Task Force Annual Summary
- Outreach Working Group Annual Summary 15-16
- Sakib Ahmed, Communications Coordinator, Office for Sustainability
- Adam Bernstein, Undergraduate Student
- Beth Blanton-Kent, Librarian for Physical Sciences, Faculty
- Toni Cox, Service Center Representative, University Human Resources
- Carolyn Dillard, News Officer for Broadcast and Diversity Communications, Community Relations
- David Germano, Department of Religious Studies
- Erika Herz, Director of Intellectual Capital, Batten Institute
- Logan Hobbs, Foreign National Tax Advisor, UHR
- Willis Jenkins, Associate Professor, Department of Religious Studies
- Jamie Leonard, Director of Health Promotion, Student Health,
- Jonathan Monceaux, Assistant Director for Transportation Services
- Julia Monteith, Senior Land Use andCommunity Planner
- Nqobile Mthethwa, Undergraduate Student
- Scott Norris, Director of Business Services, Student Affairs
- Abigail Nwaebube, Undergraduate Student
- Shana Pack,Wellness Coordinator, University Human Resources
- Ricky Patterson, Senior Scientist, Department of Astronomy
- Jason Pedone, General Manager, JPJ Arena Athletics
- Maria Rincon-Lizarazo, Sustainability Student Employee
- Patricia Romer, Director of Business and Facilities Services, Housing
- Dana Schroeder, Outreach & Engagement Coordinator, Office for Sustainability
- Andrea Trimble, Director, Office for Sustainability
- Jenny Weatherholtz, Director of Alumni Engagement, School of Engineering
- Tim White, Senior Immigration Consultant
- Rachel Winters, Director of Community Engagement, Madison House
Outreach Working Group
Dana Schroeder, Office for Sustainability
- Feature sustainability in new employee & new student orientation.
- Co-brand all sustainability initiatives, get the word out via social media, pitch stories to UVA Today and other avenues such as the Virginia Magazine etc...
- Ask key partners to think of themselves as board members/ambassadors of UVA Sustainability and to be aware of branding opportunities, potential partnerships, and ways we can help each other. Develop a new employee tote bag with slogan, statement, and key actions to be handed out to all new employees.
- Build on past successes such as the pledge (personal and on-line), flip the switch stickers, try just one stickers, website etc.
- Identify 3-4 sustainability “spots” to include in the Employee Orientation Walking Tour - to educate employees about sustainability (bike share station, big belly trash/recycling cans/Garret Hall green roof).
- Create a one-page summary of sustainability efforts at UVA with an “ask” for deans to incorporate sustainability into their strategy- use Darden’s sustainability goals as an example.
- Revisit the on-line sustainability training and review New Employee Orientation modules to incorporate sustainability.
- Create a sustainability resource center in partnership with UVA Libraries.
- Host events such as UVA Sustainability Day & America Recycles Day November 13-14th to increase awareness and dialogue.
- Identify offices to participate in Green Workplace Program (GWP).
- Continue working with GWP pilot offices to develop a role for Green Teams.
Events Task Force
UVA Sustainability Days
- Coordinate a multi-day program around Campus Sustainability Day that is open to the entire community, builds sustainability awareness, and focuses on UVA’s sustainability efforts.
- Plan a Hoo’s Talking Green panel event as the anchor event.
- Coordinate with student earth week committee to organize a week-long program of events that is open to the entire community, builds sustainability literacy and awareness, and celebrates sustainability successes.
- Plan and implement the Earth Week Expo as the main event of the week.