Interested in joining our team? Check here for internships, student employee, and staff positions.
Green Athletics Internship
Job Description: The Office for Sustainability and UVA Athletics is seeking a student to work part-time on projects to further UVA Athletics’ sustainability goals. The intern will work closely with UVA Athletics’ Facilities and Operations to understand existing practices, organize volunteers to help UVA fans recycling during football tailgates, as well as research and identify opportunities for conservation projects and outreach programs that will reduce environmental impacts and build sustainability awareness amongst UVA’s fans. This position will work all football games and basketball games on waste reduction initiatives. This position will work 5-20 hours per week in the Office for Sustainability or at games, but will spend significant time each week shadowing UVA Athletics’ operations team and assisting at home football and basketball games.
- Availability for all home football games and most basketball games
- Willingness to learn about behind-the-scenes operations at athletic events (recycling, compost, housekeeping, concessions)
- Interest in UVA Athletics and sustainability
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, strong communications and organization skills
- Leadership experience organizing volunteer events
- Previous experience in sustainability preferred but not required
- Organize student volunteers to help collect recyclables from fans for football tailgate
- Serve as co-chair of the Green Athletics Working Group, schedule meetings, recruit members and set a work plan for the academic year
- Research best practices and opportunities to meet sustainability goals
- Work with UVA Athletics to implement sustainability projects
- Assist in waste reduction efforts at basketball games
Position closes: August 20, 2017
Position Start Date: September 4th
Apply on UVA Handshake, job number: 437693
Job Description: The Communications Generalist- Sustainability, is a core member of the University of Virginia's Office for Sustainability team and will provide leadership in communicating University-wide sustainability progress, programs, and projects and engaging the community in sustainability through multiple modes of communication. The Communications Generalist partners within the Office for Sustainability and with others across UVA on overall sustainability communications strategies, maintains and develops the UVA sustainability website and social media accounts, and creates a range of engaging and timely content and engagement tools (such as articles, newsletters, green tips, signage, and case studies) - all tailored to a wide range of audiences. The incumbent also drafts quarterly and annual sustainability reports to communicate progress towards achievement of the goals and actions outlined in UVA's Sustainability Plan.
posting number 0621395
The posting will close on 08/14/17