Equity & Environment Fund
The Equity & Environment Fund will be paused for the Fall 2023 semester as we restructure our student programming. If you have an event concept or idea focus on this intersection, email us at [email protected] and we'll work with you. Thanks!
The Equity & Environment Fund provides grants for initiatives that explore and address the intersection of environmental sustainability and social justice.
Funding is available for UVA students and student groups to work on projects or events on Grounds or in the broader Charlottesville community. Faculty, staff and community members are also welcome to apply as long as the envisioned project or event closely involves UVA students in a meaningful way.
The E&E Fund is facilitated by the Civic Engagement Subcommittee of UVA’s Committee on Sustainability, which has identified equity and environmental justice as cornerstones of UVA’s sustainability goals.
- Build student, faculty and staff understanding related to issues of equity, justice and sustainability through community-engaged activities.
- Establish successful, positive and lasting relationships between the University and the local community.
- Promote a respectful environment at UVA through education and an inclusive dialogue.
- Have observable and measurable benefits to the representation or experience of historically disadvantaged groups in the Charlottesville/Albemarle and UVA communities.
- Uphold values of environmental justice.
To date, $100,000 has been awarded to more than 40 projects in grants ranging from a few hundred dollars to $10,000. Proposals are accepted on a rolling basis, and are evaluated by a volunteer Student Review Board. The board meets regularly to review applications and vote on their suitability for funding.
Interested in being a member of the Student Review Board? Involvement is not a major time commitment and provides students a leadership opportunity in this important intersection of equity and sustainability. Email us at [email protected].