Composting takes place at various locations around Grounds and during zero waste events and is an important initiative for reaching our landfill diversion goal.
UVA works with Black Bear Composting to collect organic materials and other compostable items. Black Bear can collect:
- Food waste - including produce, dairy, meat, bones, and more
- Uncoated paper - napkins and paper towels
- Certified compostable wares - check to see if your item is BPI certified
Zero Waste Events Resources
Interested in composting at your event? Read through the Zero Waste Guide and work with UVA Recycling (firstname.lastname@example.org) to procure compostable wares and compost bins as needed. Feeling like you need a little more support in your first zero waste event? Call the Office for Sustainability at 434-297-7964, and we’ll make sure you’re ready to go.
On Grounds Resources
- West Range Café and Fine Arts Café – You can find compost bins at both café locations. Bring your compostable clamshell, leftover food, or other compostable items during café hours.
- International Residence College – Students living in IRC have continual access to a compost bin.
- Hereford College – Students living in Hereford have continual access to a compost bin.
- Brown College – Students living in Brown have continual access to a compost bin.
- Newcomb – CIOs that have completed the Zero Waste Training have access to a compost bin outside of Newcomb. Interested in completing the training? Email email@example.com.
- In your workplace – Faculty and staff, you can learn more about bringing composting into your workplace by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Off Grounds Resources
- Charlottesville City Market – Each Saturday the Charlottesville City Market has compost drop-off stations for those who’d like to participate. They also provide compostable bags free of charge.
- McIntire Recycling Center – Drop off compostables at McIntire during standard facility hours.
- Black Bear Composting – Opt into the Black Bear Residential Composting program. They’ll provide a bin or tote (depending on your needs) and will regularly service the compost for a monthly fee.