Green Labs Program
Research labs are an important aspect of UVA’s mission, but are energy, water, and material intensive. At UVA, labs account for over 30% of the University’s energy use despite accounting for only approximately 16% of the square footage. Because of the immense opportunity to reduce energy, water, and waste, the Green Labs Working Group and the Office for Sustainability have developed a Green Labs program to focus on three areas:
- Outreach and Action: a Green Lab certification program and associated resources
- Programs and Resources: specialized lab recycling, freezer and other energy efficiency programs, events, and training
- Infrastructure: Sustainable lab standards, evaluation, and implementation for new construction, renovations, and existing buildings
Outreach and Action
Green Labs Certification Program
The Office for Sustainability is currently seeking limited number of labs to participate in the pilot phase of the Green Labs certification program. Labs can become certified at one of four levels of certification, and can earn higher levels over time. To get involved, review the draft Green Labs checklist and email email@example.com to schedule a lab visit.
- Green Labs Checklist
- MIT Green Chemical Alternative Wizard
- International Institute for Sustainable Laboratories Sustainable Toolkit
- Labs 21 Benchmarking Tool
- UC Irvine Smart Labs Initiative
Our Lab Footprint
Below is a a set of graphs that show our lab energy usage at UVA. These numbers drive our program and steer our reduction strategies. Hover over a segment of the chart to see more details.