In order to build a sustainable community, these annual campaigns aim to elevate and embed sustainability into the U.Va. community, to build a sustainable legacy and provide opportunities for interdisciplinary engagement.
- Earth Week – The largest celebration of sustainability at U.Va., Earth Week is a collaborative, week-long program that aims to bring students, faculty, staff and the community together to engage in sustainable actions, learn about innovative sustainability strategies and raise awareness of sustainability-related initiatives.
- Sustainability Pledge – The U.Va. Sustainability Pledge began in 2011 as a way for individuals to commit to sustainable actions in their daily lives. The Committee on Sustainability also launched a personal pledge campaign to allow individuals to write their own sustainability action pledges. Sign the online pledge and share how you plan to live more sustainably.
Take the pledge! »
- SustainaMondays – The SustainaMondays Campaign is a student-led initiative sponsored by the Office for Sustainability (OFS). The program consists of a weekly tabling event in O’Hill Dining to increase awareness for on-going projects and programs, such as reusable to go container program sponsored by U.Va. Dining. The objective of the tabling event is to capture the attention of students and engage them in a one-on-one interaction. The program will be structured to provide pamphlets and action items to students. Students will also be given opportunities to win prizes, through their participation in sustainability themed events and raffles.
- SustainaForum – A monthly gathering of sustainability student groups, SustainaForum aims to connect students to new sustainability projects and resources, while building community.
- Energize!UVA – To build greater awareness and help the City of Charlottesville’s Energize!Charlottesville campaign, the Energize!UVA campaign is a month-long energy conservation campaign that educates and inspires students, faculty and staff to reduce their energy use. Each week focuses on different energy conservation themes and actions- from simple tips to reduce electric use at home, to volunteering opportunities to help weatherize local homes.
- Zero Waste Athletics – A collaborative effort between students and staff, Zero Waste Athletics works to reduce landfill waste at U.Va. athletic events. During the football season, Zero Waste Athletics helps suites reduce waste by providing convenient compost bins in the suites and helping fans properly sort their waste. Zero Waste Athletics also focuses on the Game Day Challenge efforts, which divert roughly 70-80% of waste at one football and one basketball game each year. To learn how you can get involved here.
- RecycleMania – RecycleMania is a friendly competition amongst colleges and universities to encourage waste reduction over an 8-week period in the spring. Since 2007, U.Va. has been participating in RecycleMania, holding the Gorilla Prize recycling title in Virginia. Since 2008, U.Va. has recycled over 4 million pounds of recyclables during Recyclemania. To learn how to get involved, visit our RecycleMania page.
- Chuck it for Charity – For 15 year, U.Va. has helped students donate their unwanted goods during move-out to local charities. Chuck it for Charity, offered for both on and off-grounds students, helps to keep good materials out of landfills and in the local community.
- World Water Week – To highlight global and local water issues, World Water Week is a collaborative effort amongst departments, the Committee on Sustainability and the Office for Sustainability to organize lectures, volunteer efforts and outreach events. Learn more »
- The Duplex Derby – A paper conservation competition, The Duplex Derby encourages U.Va. offices switch to double sided printing over a four week period. Offices track their weekly duplex printing rate, with the highest duplex printing ratio wins a champions breakfast.