Sustainability at U.Va. is constantly evolving to meet the needs of U.Va. community and to embed sustainability into the U.Va. community. U.Va. sustainability also co-sponsors and participates in a number of events on grounds such as the Student Activities Fair, Orientation, SpringFest and zero waste events.
- Game Day Challenge – Since 2010, U.Va. has participated in a national competition to reduce materials sent to the landfill from one home football game. U.Va. holds the ACC Recycling title with a 70% recycling rate. This impressive recycling rate is achieved with the help of over 100 volunteers tasked to help fans recycle their materials at tailgating sites, converting disposable products to compostable or recyclable products, and collecting compost from the suites and concessions.
Learn More »
- Dorm Energy Race – A month-long electricity reduction competition amongst first year residences, the Dorm Energy Race aims to galvanize first years to reduce their electricity consumption, while building community through fun, energy reduction events in residences. For more information,
- U.Va Sustainability Day – An annual event to celebrate and innovate sustainable solutions on Grounds. Examples of sustainability-themed events held as part of U.Va. Sustainability Days include a Global Sustainability student project poster competition, a student-made environmental film screening, a zero waste workshop and a Hoos Talking Green panel discussion.
- America Recycles Day – A national event, America Recycles Day at U.Va. draws hundreds of attendees interested in learning more about recycling. The event raises awareness about the benefits of recycling and buying products made with recycled materials and how to re-use items that normally would be thrown away. America Recycles Day offers creative crafts, recycled art, recycling games and local green groups to engage participants and increase awareness of recycling opportunities in our community.
- RecycleMania – A national eight week competition between colleges and universities to see which institution can reduce, reuse, and recycle the most waste. During the competition, the Office for Sustainability and our partners host events to raises awareness about the benefits of recycling and buying products made with recycled materials and how to re-use items that normally would be thrown away. Events feature creative crafts, recycled art, recycling games and film screenings to engage participants and increase awareness of recycling opportunities on Grounds.
- World Water Day Symposium – An international day to bring attention to water conservation, World Water Day at U.Va. focuses on global, local and personal aspects of various water issues to educate participants on everything from what are watersheds to ways we can reduce water consumption.
- SustainaBanquet – The Student Council Sustainability Committee hosts the annual SustainaBanquet during Earth Week, to recognize sustainability milestones and champions of the past year. The awards dinner highlights student groups, staff, faculty and students that have positively influenced the sustainability community at U.Va.
- Earth Week Expo – A week-long celebration of sustainability at U.Va. And in the community. Earth Week brings together students, faculty, staff and community members to celebrate sustainability milestones, take sustainable actions, inspire change and build community.
- Resilience Forum – Sponsored by the office of the Associate Vice President for Research, Sustainability and the Environment, the Resilience Forum discusses a pan-university approach to resiliency and sustainability through interdisciplinary research. Learn more »
- UVA Saves Hour – During peak energy use days in the summer months, U.Va. helps prevent grid emergencies by participating in a test of electricity reduction. For one hour, U.Va. sets a goal to reduce electric consumption by 12 megawatts. U.Va. faculty, staff and students contribute to the reduction by turning off unneeded lights, appliances, computers for one hour. To learn more, visit:
- U.Va. Sustainability Retreat – Since 2013, the Committee on Sustainability hosts an annual retreat to bring key student, faculty and staff sustainability leaders together to identify high level goals for sustainability at U.Va. The retreat also hosts a student summit in the afternoon, to bring sustainability student leaders together to network and identify common goals for the upcoming year.