WE NEED YOUR PARTICIPATION IN “UVA SAVES HOUR” TODAY (THURSDAY, OCTOBER 20) FROM 2 - 3 P.M. ACROSS GROUNDS
UVA Saves Hour is a test of a statewide program to reduce electricity demand during peak periods. In the past, UVA Saves Hour has always occurred in June. However, the program has now changed, and we should prepare for future tests during the academic year. Our goal for today is to save 12.9 megawatts of electricity during the one-hour test, the equivalent of powering down an average American home for over a year.
- If you will be on Grounds, please mark your calendar for 2 p.m. We need your cooperation to reach our goal.
Please switch off or unplug non-essential items around you by no later than 2 p.m. and keep them off until 3 p.m.
- Turn off lighting and use natural light instead including in your space as well as in nearby meeting rooms, kitchens, and other common areas.
- Unplug kitchen appliances: including microwaves, coffee makers, toasters, etc.
- Unplug other non-essential devices: including TVs, fans, lamps, chargers, etc.
- Unplug your laptop from charger & turn off monitors.
- Make energy minimization plans for other large appliances or devices that might be on at 2pm, while being respectful of your peers’ and colleagues’ needs.
Your participation need not interrupt your daily work, but please do what you can to help us reach our UVA Saves Hour goal. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.