Welcome, Hoos! UVA Sustainability can’t wait to kick off the school year, meet new friends, and dive into a semester full of events and programming. If you are interested in getting involved in sustainability at UVA, there are many opportunities to do so. Here are just a few.
Join a Sustainability-related Organization
- The SAs work directly with the Office for Sustainability to develop sustainability student leaders across Grounds. They work on semester-long projects aimed at increasing sustainable practices and awareness on Grounds. Apply and learn more here.
Zero Waste Ambassadors
- This program allows student-leaders to directly contribute to UVA's ambitious waste minimization goals. ZWAs help expand and implement composting around Grounds. Apply and learn more here.
- Environmental Justice Collective: Through direct action, community buildings and mutual education, EJC strives to provide a safe space for students of color and the UVA community to discuss environmental injustices in the U.S. and abroad.
- CVille Solar Project: Through educating its members about the renewable energy industry, solar energy service, climate justice and the role of solar in the community, the CVille Solar Project works to de-stigmatize solar among students and the Charlottesville community.
- There are several other sustainability-related community groups at UVA, ranging from engineering to advocacy. Here is a non-exhaustive list of organizations.
Practice Environmental Stewardship
- UVA is implementing composting at every home football game this year, and there are volunteer opportunities available for each! Green Games are fun, high-energy events and volunteering is a great way to get behind the scenes of sustainability at UVA. Sign up here.
- Every month, UVA Sustainability hosts a Corner Cleanup where groups of students collect trash and recycling alongside streets by the Corner. Volunteers get bagels before the cleanup and commit about an hour to trash picking. Sign up for the first Corner Cleanup of Fall 2022 here.
- The UVA Student Garden hosts 1-2 work days a week where volunteers water, weed, plant and harvest in the garden. Stay updated by following @Plantbased_UVA on Instagram
- Hoos Littering: Participate in weekly cleanups at the Corner, Mad Bowl, JPA, and other locations on and off Grounds, followed by a trip to Bodo’s.
- Alpha Phi Omega: APO is a gender-inclusive, student-run service fraternity following the three cardinal principles of leadership, friendship and service. Many of their service projects are focused on environmental efforts.
- There are several other groups at UVA that focus on environmental stewardship, from trash cleanups to conservation efforts. Here is a non-exhaustive list of organizations.
Incorporate Sustainability into Your Education
There are sustainability-related courses in many different disciplines at UVA. Browse this list of sustainability related courses.
- If your major is undecided, take a class related to sustainability to gauge your interest in pursuing the subject academically.
- Related majors/minors: Global Studies: Global Environments and Sustainability (GSVS), Environmental Sciences (EVSC), Environmental Thought and Practice (ETP), Civil Engineering (CE), Urban and Environmental Planning (PLAN) and more.
- If your major is decided, pursue sustainability in class projects and elective courses.
Live Sustainably at Home
- Living Green on Grounds: Make use of the resources available in your building and on Grounds.
- Living Green in Charlottesville: Respectfully and sustainably engage with the greater Charlottesville community.
Connect with UVA Sustainability to stay updated on events and opportunities
- Follow @SustainableUVA on Instagram
- Sign-up for the UVA Sustainability bi-weekly newsletter
- Bookmark the UVA Sustainability Events Calendar.
Find a variety of flyers in this google folder you can print out and post in dorms, class rooms and other spaces to help us spread the Sustainability message!
Nora Raleigh is a third-year student at UVA, studying Public Policy and Leadership and Global Environments and Sustainability. She is a member of the Service Learning team at UVA’s Office for Sustainability, organizing service and educational events for students.