You don’t have to be a sustainability expert to get involved at UVA. We seek to engage any interested faculty or staff member from any school or unit -- explore involvement opportunities at UVA and beyond.
- The Office for Sustainability hosts over 90 events a year. Stay informed by subscribing to our newsletter or visiting our events page.
- The Environmental Resilience Institute also hosts year-round events focused on transformative research partnerships. Learn more on the ERI events page.
- Sustainability Partners is a network of UVA employees interested in sustainability, both at work and home. They come together monthly to hear from local speakers, learn about sustainable practices at UVA and share sustainability tips. Email [email protected] to add your email to the invite list.
In Your Workplace
UVA Sustainability would love to participate in an event, meeting or conversation in your workplace. Invite us to present to your colleagues, facilitate a conversation or co-host an event. We would be happy to bring a green purchaser or Zero Waste Events training to you. Email us to set something up.
The Green Workplace Program facilitates sustainable practices in workplaces across UVA by offering a set of recommended green actions, guiding individuals through implementation of those actions and incentivizing sustainability progress. Email [email protected] to start a Green Team or request an informational visit.
These subcommittees are all under the auspices of UVA's Committee on Sustainability and work across Grounds in combination with students, faculty and staff to achieve the goals in the University's 2030 Sustainability Plan.
- Environmental Stewardship Subcommittee promotes and enables environmental stewardship on Grounds through student, staff and faculty engagement and direct action. There are currently many different working groups that focus on topic areas such as energy, materials and waste, water, nitrogen and more.
- Civic Engagement Subcommittee works to expand and deepen sustainability within the UVA community both on and off Grounds. The subcommittee hosts the annual Sustainability Leadership Award, the UVA Equity & Environment Fund and other initiatives.
- Teaching & Research Subcommittee seeks to develop opportunities for interdisciplinary curriculum development and research. The subcommittee supports a University-wide "Grounds as Living Lab" approach and serves as a resource for faculty engaged in promoting sustainability literacy through teaching and research.
If you work in a lab, in Athletics, as an IT professional, or as a Health System clinician, there are specific groups for you in which to engage. See the "Stewardship" circle at the bottom of this page.
Jobs and Grants
UVA provides numerous opportunities for students to gain professional experience through sustainability-related jobs and internships. Check the Office for Sustainability Careers page for positions in the office or check the Career Center page for positions at UVA and in the community.
Grants & Funding – Have an idea or event you’d like to get started at UVA? Consider applying for grant funding.